There is nothing better on a summer night than a recipe that fills your palate with the taste of roasted chicken, herbs, fresh lemon and citrus. I love the idea of one pan meals where you can just throw every thing in the oven and it comes out perfect. This chicken is melt in your mouth good and so easy to make!
What I love about recipes like this is you can play around with the seasonings. You could serve it with fresh roasted vegetables, baby potatoes, salad or rice. If you can marinade it over night, even better but all you need to do is pop it in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour and it comes out so flavorful!
Ingredients I used ( modified from the original recipe above to be a bit healthier):
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic ( the fresher the better)
- 1 table-spoon of sugar ( original called for 2)
- 1 whole lemon half juiced, half sliced ( original calls for 2 lemons)
- 1 orange, half juiced, half sliced
- 1 table-spoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder ( I didn’t have this on hand so I used onion salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 chicken drumsticks ( Original calls for 10-12 parts whether that be thighs/legs)
- 1/2 – 1 whole onion thinly sliced ( any kind – but red is always more flavorful)
- 1 table-spoon dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of dried or fresh Thyme
- Chopped herbs (optional)- fresh rosemary, parsley or thyme
Side note: I used fresh herbs from the garden basket that I bought from Costco. The fresh herbs are so great to use in the summer time.
– Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
– In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, sugar, juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 an orange, red pepper flakes, garlic, Italian seasoning, paprika , onion powder, salt and pepper.
Place chicken in a baking dish. I always make sure to add olive oil to the dish first. Before adding the chicken- I added some slices of oranges and lemons as well as onions before placing the chicken on top. Add the chicken and Spread them out evenly .Pour mixture all over the chicken and make sure it is coated evenly.Arrange slices of onion, lemon, and oranges all around and under the chicken. Sprinkle with Thyme, Rosemary, and salt and pepper.
Bake for 1 hour and serve with fresh herbs!
Its honestly the prettiest and tastiest chicken recipe you will taste!
Note: I have used chicken breasts in the recipe they should be done after 30-40 min.
This recipe was originally found on pinterest, but adapted from http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2013/04/herb-and-citrus-oven-roasted-chicken.html. Check out the website for other tasty ideas!